Get outdoors with the new Shackleton All the practicality of a VW camper conversion but at a fraction of the cost is the promise of the new Shackleton, entry-level VW camper conversion that was on show at the NEC, Birmingham. Based on a VW T5 Transporter, the Shackleton features a front elevating, German SCA deluxe roof, colour coded to match the vehicle paintwork, plus handmade, lightweight, real wood veneered board with solid oak edges and solid surface worktops.
A 120amp marine battery powers the 12v system that runs the compressor fridge, LED lighting and water pump. The layout is a classic side kitchen with the rear seats forming the double bed. The kitchen gas a 50-litre fridge, Smev twin-burner hob with integrated sink, water tank and pump. At the front a double-passenger seat swivels round to face into the cabin. All the internal sides are fully insulated with sheep wool and the carpet features a soft, dark-grey trim. Overall length of the vehicle is 4.89m and the height with the roof extended comes to 3.04m.
The basic OTR price is £36,995 but there are a number of extra options that can be specified. These include a long wheelbase version, which is £1,200 extra, reversing sensors, awning rails and awning itself, 75w solar panel, under seat safe, VW bike rack, swivelling drivers seat and an electric blow heater.
If you want to try out a Rolling Homes campervan before you commit to buying then try hiring one for a short break. If you decide to buy after your rental then Rolling Homes will refund half the hire cost. Alternatively, just rent one for weekends or an entire week with either the Columbus model with one twin bed and a twin in the roof, or the Livingstone model with a rear kitchen and two single beds and a twin in the roof.
More details at rolling-homes.co.uk.
Shackleton budget range
The Shackleton provides the ideal starting point for anyone looking for their first new motorhome. This is our entry-level Camper which is built using the same components as the more expensive models. This has the same level of craftsmanship and attention to detail, but with a softer price tag.
- Front elevating German SCA deluxe roof which is colour coded to match vehicle paintwork. Included is a deluxe bed which gives extra sleeping room for 2 adults.
- Solid surface kitchen worktop.
- Smev twin burner hob with neat integrated sink, water tank and pump. Sealed gas locker with regulator and gas safety certificate.
- Extensive cupboards, lockers, wardrobes and a removable table made from top quality board.
- Swivelling Cab Seats and a Crash test approved RIB seat/bed system. The seat folds simply into a flat bed of 6ft
- Full internal gas system with steel gas bottle locker with fully sealed door. All gas work carried out by registered motorhome LPG fitter and certificated.
- Twin rows of LED lights.
- 50 litre Waeco compressor fridge freezer.
- All Rolling Homes conversions are fitted with a bespoke CE approved 12v wiring system independent from the vehicles electrics and uses a 110 amp/hr marine battery to control the 12v equipment. This system runs the compressor fridge, led lighting and water pump and is charged when the engine is running or connected to the mains via a discrete 240v hook up.
- All rear internal sides fully insulated with sheepswool and carpet lined with soft dark grey trim.
- Double steel box centre frame – crash proof roof.
- TV aerial system
- 5-year guarantee plus manufacturers warranty.